Wow! We are finally on the 14-week of school. I can’t stress how fast it has gone. I’m only 18 years old, but the thought of being a year older is frightening to me because I know it will be time to branch out on my own. How does someone prepare for that? I’m so grateful for parents. I don’t know where I would be if they weren’t by my side. Seeing my grandma in the hospital recovering from heart surgery really affected my perspectives on life and with my own health. I began to think of my parents being on the hospital bed, and it shook me to my core. I stood for a few moments of silence and listened to the rhythm of heart. I began to thank the universe repeatedly for my parents and my health. Life is too short for negative energy.
The Hawk Leadership Institute celebrated their Fall Social this past Friday. I was glad to come together with the whole group and spend time with one another. We began with Pictionary and ended with Guesstures. It was friendly competition and I really enjoyed getting to relax after such a long semester. HLI hasn’t really got together as a group since the beginning of the semester, but Jennifer Clark, assistant director of student life, assured us we will be engaging in plenty group activities next semester. I love the energy I feel when I’m around my peers because I know we have similar mindsets. I used to believe everyone wanted to be a leader, but after experiencing college and meeting others I’ve learned not everyone does. At first, I couldn’t wrap my head around it. It was a big deal when we applied for HLI and took the first step to learn more of our leadership potential since some decide to never take that step. I also want to point out I had two slices of pizza, a slice of pumpkin pie, three brownies and a cup of ice cream that night. I did not regret any of it! It was a great night and I’m happy to have been a member.
My fellow freshmen: please don’t wait until the last minute to study for finals. I’m sure many of you already received reviews. Take advantage! I’ve already begun on my finals, have you? Let’s save energy and reduce stress you guys. Check out these study tips. Please do not procrastinate.
I love the fact we always have some sort of events at UHCL. Here are some events to look forward to:
- Bay Area Turning Point, Inc. Donation Drive: Ending December 10. Drop off location is located in the Student Lounge in SSCB. You can donate clothing, toys, kitchen utensils, cleaning supplies, children/infant fever medication, prenatal vitamins or a first aid kit.
- APA Research Paper Formatting Workshop: December 2 at 6 p.m. (SSCB 3305)
- Lighting of the Letters: December 2 from 5-7 p.m. by the UHCL sign. The sign will light up around 5:30 p.m. Hot cocoa and cider will be served.
- SLICE Holiday Toy Drive at the Student Life Office: Ending December 5. Toys must be unwrapped.
- The Black Student Association Presents: Kwanzaa. December 2 in the Bayou Garden Room at 5:30 p.m. They will also be accepting coats, jackets and blankets to donate to the homeless.
Have a Happy Thanksgiving! 🙂